Leonardo da Vinci (1452 – 1519) was an Italian artist of the Renaissance. Born in Vinci, in Tuscany, Leonardo developed his talents in a myriad of disciplines: painting, architecture, science, literature, sculpture, philosophy, poetry, urbanism…
We are before one of the most versatile artists that has had the history of humanity. He is known for being the archetype of Renaissance man: a total talent, versatile and excellent in everything he tried.
Several of his works are considered the most valuable in the history of art: La Gioconda, for example, is an oil portrait by Lisa Gherardini, a contemporary of da Vinci. Another spectacular work is The Last Supper, a mural where he immortalizes the Last Supper of Jesus of Nazareth and his disciples.
However, we are before one of the most relevant, admired and prolific artists in the history of man. In today’s article we will know the best phrases of Leonardo da Vinci, to understand more deeply the thought and vision of the world of this referent.
1. Where there is more sensitivity, martyrdom is stronger.
The artistic sensitivity can cushion the vicissitudes of life, according to Leonardo.
2. He who does not value life, does not deserve it.
A phrase by Leonardo da Vinci in which he shows his vitalism. It is not worth living a life that we do not want with vigor.
3. Great men start great works, hardworking men finish them.
It is useless to treasure a great talent if you do not have the commitment to reach the end.
4. The sciences that have not been born of the experiment, the mother of all certainty, are full of errors and errors.
A great science phrase. The inexhaustible source of knowledge and, perhaps, of certainties.
5. A work of art never ends, it is only abandoned.
You can always improve, but the final point is decided by the artist.
6. Painting is silent poetry; the poetry blind painting.
A particular vision on both artistic disciplines.
7. He who really knows what he is talking about finds no reason to raise his voice.
The deep knowledge of things allows total tranquility and serenity.
8. Wisdom is the daughter of experience.
Nobody is born being wise.
9. The busy life is long.
If you have ambitions and projects, boredom does not make an appearance.
10. I have not lost before the difficulty of the challenges, but against the time.
Time is the only enemy of creativity and productivity.
11. There is no more loyal advice than that given from a ship in danger.
If a council comes from someone who is suffering, value it even more.
12. The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.
In ignorance there is evil, and the greatest pleasure, according to da Vinci, lies in accumulating useful experiences and knowledge.
13. The most useful science is that whose fruit is the most communicable.
A small compliment to those scientific knowledge that can be explained and understood.
14. The threat is the weapon of the threatened.
He can only respond with more violence.
15. Rebuke the friend in secret and praise him in public.
One of the most famous phrases of Leonardo da Vinci.
16. While thinking I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
Life teaches us the final destination.
17. He who sows virtue receives honor.
The greatness of small daily habits always has its long-term fruits.
18. There are three kinds of men: those who see, those who see when they are shown and those who do not.
19. Marriage is like sticking your hand in a bag of snakes in the hope of getting an eel.
A phrase with irony about what it means to marry someone.
20. You can not have greater dominion than over yourself.
Exercising this control or not exercising it is everyone’s decision.
21. Why does the eye see things clearer in dreams than in the imagination when we get up?
There is something mystical in the oneiric, which sometimes seems more real than reality itself.
22. I have wasted my hours.
Curious phrase coming from a total and neat artist like Leonardo.
23. All our knowledge has its origin in perception.
The perception precedes the imagination, and not the other way around.
24. Who does not condemn evil, orders that it be done.
Being an accomplice to evil is a vile act.