The humanitarian aid that ensures anti-Chavez needs Venezuela began arriving in Caracas on Monday, the same day that the ruling Nicolás Maduro, who denies that the country was going through a humanitarian crisis, took advantage of the high attention in the media to launch a tourism plan.
“Complying with our competencies, today we deliver the first shipment of humanitarian aid supplies to the Association of Health Centers (AVESOC) with 85 thousand supplements, which translates into 1,700,000 nutritional rations for children and 4,500 supplements for pregnant women,” she said. on Twitter the head of Parliament, Juan Guaidó.
The deputy, who swore before hundreds of thousands of citizens assume as interim president at the end of last January, explained that this first shipment of aid “represents 20 rations for each beneficiary, and corresponds to the first phase of attention to the most vulnerable populations” from the country.
Then, he said in a press release that “significant efforts” were made to get this first batch to Caracas, although it was not specified how he entered.
“This is a first stage, we know it is not enough, so we insist that humanitarian aid must enter Venezuela, open the corridor to serve between 200,000, 300,000 Venezuelans who today are at risk of death,” he said.
This is a first stage, we know it is not enough, so we insist that humanitarian aid must enter Venezuela, open the corridor to serve between 200,000, 300,000 Venezuelans who today are at risk of death
Shipments with aid arrived in the Colombian city of Cúcuta last week, but Maduro’s government refuses to receive these donations because they consider that they are a “rotten gift” that has the “poison of humiliation”.
The Venezuelan newspaper El Nacional reported in its digital version that these aids were in Caracas since last December, and that they are not part of the donations that are collected in Cúcuta.
Help in poor condition
Earlier Monday, Maduro’s party, the PSUV, accused the Colombian government of doing business with the aid “to empower the merchants and entrepreneurs” of that country, spokesman Freddy Bernal said at a press conference. Bernal said that the aid that comes from the United States constitutes a “health fraud” and that they have not gone through controls.
Likewise, he denounced, citing an alleged information from the La Cuzco newspaper La Opinión, that at least 14 people were poisoned when ingesting these foods from the United States, and rejected as “dehydrated.” However, the Colombian newspaper has already denied that it has divulged this information, which circulated on social networks along with a capture of the news. “The Opinion clarifies that it has not published anything about this and that the image that circulates is not authentic, it is an irresponsible photomontage,” the newspaper said.
For his part, the first vice president of the Unified Socialist Party of Venezuela, Diosdado Cabello, has denounced from the border of the Venezuelan state of Táchira with Colombia that the opposition intends to use the sending of humanitarian aid to “put troops in”. “We are here at the Las Tienditas Bridge, how many threats we have received on this bridge (…) Today they have threatened that they will use it to put hidden troops behind the supposed humanitarian aid”, said Cabello in statements to the Venezuelan media.
“This help is neither help nor humanitarian. It’s just a mechanism that they want to use to enter our territory.”
“This aid is neither aid nor is it humanitarian, it is just a mechanism that they want to use to enter our territory,” said the president of the National Constituent Assembly.
A tourist plan
Maduro, for his part, said he will take advantage of the attention that Venezuela generates in the media to launch a tourism project that he called Marca País, and that aspires to position the nation as one of the main tourist destinations.
“It is time for the Country Brand Strategy to bring out the truth of Venezuela, the beauty of Venezuela and whoever wants to come come to share this land in peace,” the president said at the launch ceremony, held at a hotel in Caracas, attended by businessmen.
Maduro considered that the current presence in Venezuela of correspondents from numerous foreign media and international news agencies is “a good opportunity” to promote this initiative.
According to him, “the entire world press dedicates whole pages” to the crisis in Venezuela, where the political tension rose last month when Maduro’s second term began, which is not recognized by several countries. “Venezuela awakens an interest and a unique passion in this historic moment of the 21st century,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Strategic Operational Commander of the Armed Forces, Remigio Ceballos, assured that Maduro has the support of other countries that they consider “great allies”.
“We have more than 180 countries that support Venezuela in the international community, especially at this juncture that we are in right now,” the admiral told state television VTV when asked about the fifty countries that do not recognize the second term of Maduro.