Dr. Jordan Peterson is a psychologist at the University of Toronto who has become very popular among young people for his fun and carefree way of imparting knowledge. On YouTube and other social networks is a celebrity. Recently the publication of its 42 rules to live has been highly valued.
Peterson is a long-term academic, endowed with a humanist spirit and great experience. However, it converts everything it knows into a simple discourse, capable of being processed and adapted by anyone.
This Canadian psychologist is the author of the book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote for Chaos. Actually there are 12, but 42 rules proposed. The 42 rules to live were written in English, but then we present them with our own version in Spanish.
“The future is the place of all potential monsters.”
Rules for living related to values
Within the 42 rules to live there are some that are directly related to great human values. Peterson makes a special exaltation to honesty, solidarity and gratitude.
These are the rules for living that speak of virtues:
- Be sincere.
- Act in such a way that you do not have to hide your actions.
- I know who does things and not who appears to do things.
- Avoid arrogance and resentment.
- Cultivate gratitude and allow it to stay alive in your heart.
- Nothing that is well done is insignificant.
Rules in relation to oneself
Some of Peterson’s rules for living talk about axes to maintain a good relationship with oneself. They are precepts to be, rather than to do. They concentrate basically on attitudes that are positive for growth.
The rules about the relationship with oneself are the following:
- Do not live a life of continuous confrontation with your desires.
- Do not look for the easy or convenient, but what is significant.
- Pay attention to reality.
- Make something better in each place you go.
- Compare yourself with the person you were in the past and not with what someone else is in the present.
- If something from the past makes you cry, write it in the greatest detail.
- Treat yourself as a person you are always willing to help.
- That your way of dressing reflects the person you are.
- Walk with your back straight and your shoulders back.
- Do not hide the secrets that must be revealed.
- Read something that has been written by a great mind.
- What you do not know is more important than what you already know.
Rules in relation to others
In the rules to live could not miss those that have to do with the way we relate to others. A good part of our well-being is precisely there. The other people and the link we establish with them enrich us or impoverish us.
In this regard, Jordan Peterson proposes the following guidelines to follow:
- The person you are listening to can tell you something you need to know. Listen to her with commitment so she can share it with you.
- Work so that the romance stays in your couple relationships.
- Do not turn your partner into a person at your service.
- Be prudent when choosing who you share the good news with.
- Be prudent when choosing who you share the bad news with.
- Keep in touch with the people who are important to you.
- Do not criticize social institutions or artistic works lightly.
- Ask a person a small favor, so that then that person asks you a favor.
- Be a good friend to those who want the best for you.
- Do not pretend to rescue someone who does not want to be rescued. And be very careful when rescuing someone who does.
- Before criticizing the world, put all your affairs in order.
- If you run into a stray cat, pet it.
- Do not bother the children when they are playing.
- Do not let stalkers get away with it.
- Write a letter to the government if you think something is wrong and you can propose a solution.
About significant actions
For Peterson, there are some actions that must be carried out to create guidelines that lead us to a more fulfilled and fulfilled life. These are specific tasks that enrich life and allow it to rise to another level.
The significant actions, in Peterson’s opinion, are:
- Dream of what you can become and I dedicatedcompletely stop to it.
- Make a room in your home that is as beautiful as possible.
- Work intensely on one thing and then see what happens.
- Do not face something dangerous if there is no need. If it gets in your way, write it down.
- Taking responsibility for things makes new opportunities appear.
- Make an effort to be precise in what you say.