Fruits are very important foods within a balanced diet, as well as essential ingredients if you want to lose weight or keep your weight under control. We review which are the most recommended.
According to the expert source you consult, the recommendations vary, although all nutritionists and experts recommend eating fruit in abundance and daily. In Spain, doctors advise eating five pieces or fruit servings a day, a figure that drops to four in the case of the American Heart Association. The fruit is usually low in calories, rich in water and high in fiber, so it is essential in low-calorie diets or for people who want to lose weight.
In fact, eating fruit is linked to lower body weight and lower risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer and heart disease. If you want to know which are the best fruits to keep your weight under control, do not stop reading.
Best fruits to lose weight and lose weight
- Grapefruit: It is a fruit low in calories and high in vitamins A and C, with low glycemic index and ability to reduce body fat, as revealed by this scientific study.
- Apple: They are low in calories and high in fiber, with 116 calories and 5.4 grams of fiber for a large piece. They have satiating potential – so they can control appetite – and reduce fat and cholesterol levels.
- Berries: They stand out for their wide nutritional value and low calories, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure. For example, a half cup (74 grams) of blueberries contain only 42 calories, but provides 12% of the recommended daily allowance for vitamin C and manganese, and 18% for vitamin K. One cup of strawberries contains the 150% of what you need per day of vitamin D. They are anti-inflammatory and antioxidants.
- Stone fruits: The family of peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries and apricots stands out for its low glycemic index, its low caloric content and its nutritional richness, especially in vitamins such as C and A.
- Kiwi: They are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin E, folic acid and fiber, and have important health benefits such as improving your digestive tract and your intestinal health, reducing blood pressure, controlling sugar in the blood, cholesterol improvement and appetite control.
- Melon: Low in calories and with a high water content, melons are very friendly foods with weight loss. They are rich in fiber, potassium and antioxidants, such as vitamin C, beta-carotene and lycopene. Ideal to hydrate and get nutrients during the hottest months of the year.
- Oranges: Like the rest of citrus fruits, oranges are low in calories and high in vitamin C and fiber. They are also very satisfying: they fill four times more than a croissant and twice as much as a muesli bar. It is better to eat them whole instead of through juice.
- Bananas: When trying to lose weight, many people avoid bananas because of their high sugar and calories. Although bananas are more dense in calories than many other fruits, they are also more dense in nutrients, as they provide potassium, magnesium, manganese, fiber, numerous antioxidants and vitamins A, B6 and C. Their low glycemic index allows controlling levels of insulin and regulate weight, especially for diabetics.
- Avocados: We have highlighted on multiple occasions the benefits of avocados, fruits full of fiber, vitamin K, folate, potassium and healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. Thanks to them you can lose weight, decrease your appetite and reduce cholesterol levels.