Martin Luther (his original name was Martin Luder, who later changed to Martin Luther), was a theologian and German Catholic friar who lived between 1483 and 1546.
This Augustinian friar promoted the religious reform in Germany. In his ideas and reflections the Protestant Reformation was inspired and initiated a current of great importance within the Church: Lutheranism.
Phrases and reflections by Martin Luther
Martin Luther asked to return the Church to the sacred teachings of the Bible. His ideas were listened to with great attention and there was a restructuring in the different estates and ecclesiastical institutions in Europe.
The life and work of Martin Luther surpasses his contributions in the religious sphere. Studied in the Faculties of Philosophy of half the world, his contribution to language and universal thought are remarkable.
In today’s article we are going to know the best phrases of Martin Luther.
1. He who does not like wine, woman or song, will be a fool all his life.
Curious famous appointment coming from a catholic friar.
2. Whoever believes his doctrine, faith, and confession as true and righteous, can not remain in the same stable with error or adhere to false doctrine … A teacher who remains silent when the error is taught, and yet pretends to be a teacher of the truth, is worse than a brazen fanatic and with his hypocrisy does more harm than a heretic … they do not want to offend anyone, or say a word in favor of Christ, or fight the devil and the world .
On faith and how each person contributes to promote it.
3. Thought is free of taxes.
Of the few things that are free.
4. And while I slept or drank the beer of Wittenberg with my friends Philip and Amsdorf, the Word weakened the papacy in such a great way that no prince or emperor succeeded in causing them so many defeats. I did nothing: the Word did everything.
A way to give credit to the divine will.
5. But since the bride of the devil, Reason, that beautiful prostitute, intervenes and believes that she is wise, and that what she says, what she thinks, comes from the Holy Spirit, who can help us, then? Not the judges, not the doctors, no king or emperor, because [Reason] is the biggest whore of the devil.
A philosophical phrase that caused controversy for centuries.
6. The faculty of the ear is a sensible thing: very soon it is satiated and soon it becomes tired and bored.
A sense that should be pampered and fed with gusto.
7. The humility of the hypocrites is the greatest and the most proud of the proud.
A great paradox about the proud and self-centered personality.
8. In the first place, we must set fire to their synagogues or schools and bury and cover with dirt everything that is not burned, so that no man will see stone or ash again. This must be done in honor of Our Lord and Christianity, so that God sees that we are Christians and that we do not knowingly tolerate or tolerate such lies, curses and blasphemies to His Son and his Christians.
A violent reaction towards the Jews.
9. Since your Most Serene Majesty and His Highness demand from me a simple, clear and precise answer, I am going to give it, and it is this: I can not submit my faith neither to the Pope nor to the councils, because it is as clear as the light of the day they have fallen many times in error as well as in many contradictions with themselves. Therefore, if I am not convinced by biblical testimonies, or with obvious reasons, and if I am not persuaded by the same texts that I have quoted, and if they do not subject my conscience to the Word of God, I can not and will not retract anything, for not being worthy of a Christian speak against his conscience. Here I am; It is not possible for me to do otherwise. God help me! Amen!
Advocating for a more horizontal Church with a more direct relationship with God. Ideas that would prosper for years to come.
10. I made an alliance with God: that He does not send me visions, or dreams, or even angels. I am satisfied with the gift of the Sacred Scriptures, which give me abundant instruction and everything I need to know both for this life and for what is to come.
A life that follows the path marked by the sacred scriptures.
11. The heart of a man is a mill wheel that works without ceasing; If you do nothing to grind, you run the risk of crushing yourself.
The adventure is what makes a man to progress and feel alive.
12. War is the greatest plague that afflicts humanity; destroy religion, destroy nations, destroy families. It is the worst of the evils.
A pacifist phrase of Luther.
13. I have not been crucified by anyone… How, then, does it benefit me, a miserable bag of dust and ashes, give my name to the children of Christ? Cease, my dear friends, to hold on to these names of parties and distinctions; all of them, and let us call ourselves only Christians, according to the one from whom our doctrine comes.
A famous quote full of humility about his figure and his influence within the Catholicism of the time.
14. Lord Jesus. You are my justice just as I am your sin. You have taken upon You all that I am and you have given me and covered me with all that You are. You took upon You what You are not and You gave me what I am not.
A few words of thanks and admiration for the son of God.
15. Medicine makes the sick; the mathematics, sad; and theology, sinful people.
Each discipline can generate aberrations among those who study them.
16. What is God for Christians? A great castle, a powerful shield, a good weapon.
A metaphor to interpret the weight of God among believers.
17. Therefore we receive spiritual blessings by the grace of a third party and not by our own efforts. Two opposing ideas can not be both true: that grace is so inexpensive that anyone anywhere can earn it; and at the same time, grace is so precious that we can only obtain it through the merits of a man: Jesus Christ.
A sincere praise for the figure of Jesus Christ.
18. Nature is only insofar as God created it. That’s why it’s so perfect.
One of those phrases about nature that automatically connect us to the environment.
19. Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would fall apart, I would still plant my apple tree.
One of the most remembered phrases of Martin Luther.
20. We are saved only by faith, but the faith that saves is never alone.
Discipline, love for others and other ingredients can not miss.
21. Then, when the devil throws your sins on your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: “I admit that I deserve death and hell, and what? Because I know Him who suffered and did the satisfaction in my name, his name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there, I too will be! “
An allegation by Luther to face the final destination.
22. If you want to change the world, take your pen and write.
Writing is the art of transcending consciousness.
23. My heart, which is so full of overflow, has often been comforted and refreshed by the music when it is sick and tired.
A phrase for music lovers, the most remembered of Martin Luther.
24. The dog is the most faithful of the animals and would be very appreciated if it were not so common. Our Lord God has made his best gifts too common.
A phrase of Luther that shows his love towards animals.
25. I have so much to do that I will spend the first three hours in prayer.
Sometimes, overwork can lead us to a single solution: pray.