“In your next marketing strategy, there is one element you can not forget: love.”
Love is the energy that moves the world and relationships with brands are no exception.
I do not mean to design a campaign with irresistible offers for Valentine’s Day, but to cultivate relationships with the lovers of your brand or brand lovers. Who are they and how can they help you? Let’s find out!
What are brand lovers?
Brand lovers are simply the lovers or fans of your brand, those who have a deep emotional connection with it. For example, users queuing all night to get the new iPhone model before anyone else, or fans of Star Wars that go to the premieres with all their merchandising.
The brand lovers have a series of characteristics that make them great allies of your brand:
- Price does not matter. Returning to the previous example, Apple products are more expensive than most of the competition, but users remain faithful to them year after year. And the decision to buy your favorite love brand is no longer guided by simply rational criteria, but it is an emotional link.
- They buy all kinds of related items. The fans of the brand are a vein to cross-sell and promote your collectibles and merchandise.
- They defend you by all means. As true fanboys, the lovers of your brand will be there to defend it against negative comments. Your role can be very important in the face of a reputation crisis, since you can act even before you arrive. In addition, given that it is a genuine defense (they are not paid by the brand nor are they official representatives of the same), they will help you to add points of authenticity.
- They recommend you to all your contacts. Brand lovers are natural influencers, as they will not hesitate to recommend your products to anyone who wants to listen to them.
And as is logical, this mouth ear contributes to increase your benefits.
It is clear that these users are very important allies for your marketing strategy, but beware! If you want them to help you, you will have to contact them and take care of them as they deserve. In the next section we will see how to get it.
How to take advantage of brand lovers in your marketing strategy
1) Find your best fans
Some brands have it very simple: their brand lovers are the ones who line up all night to buy their products and organize fan conventions. But for most mortals, they are not as visible. So the first step is to get down to work to find out where your unconditional lovers are.
To begin with, my recommendation is that you monitor:
- The hashtags and publications in social networks related to your brand, products and services (both the general categories and your specific products).
- The alerts for the name of your brand and your products in search engines.
- The type of publications, tone and sentiment.
In this way, you can easily see which users are talking about your brand repeatedly and in a positive tone.
Once this step is done, it is interesting to assess which are the brand lovers that can give you more game when it comes to promoting your brand. To do this, you will have to make an analysis of each user based on the following parameters:
- Your influence on social networks. For this, you can use tools like Klout or Followerwonk. Here you are interested in taking into account both their reach (number of followers in different social networks) and their level of interaction (to what extent other users react to their publications). You may be able to detect microinfluencers, with a relatively small but interesting number of followers and a high level of interaction.
- Your involvement with the brand: that is, the number of mentions to it over time and what the overall tone of them is.
- The quality of the content you publish and your ability to communicate. Tone, style, type of messages … The ideal brand lover is the one that publishes quality content and that also fits the buyer that you have defined in your marketing strategy.
2) Turn your followers into brand lovers
Most brands do not have a large base of passionate fans, especially if they are just starting out. But it does not mean that you should give up incorporating brand lovers into your marketing strategy.
Even if you already have a certain base of brand lovers, it is always a good idea to feed the relationship with your users so that they become brand lovers.
- Customize your message for a client to become an ambassador for the brand, he must feel an emotional connection. And to awaken emotions, it is important that communication is as personalized as possible. The keys are to perform an active listening to find out what really interests your target and design a marketing strategy focused on the interaction, which facilitates having “one to one” conversations.
- Take care of the customer. Customer service is one of the decisive aspects to win the hearts of users, but many brands still do not do well. They need to feel that you really listen to them and that you are there to help them, even when the problem is not your fault.
- Publish relevant content to fit with your clients and feel that you are on the same wavelength, you must first know them thoroughly: what they need, what they want, what challenges they face … Therefore, you need to spend time doing market research and asking them directly to them. In this way, your message will resonate with their interests and help them create an emotional connection.
- Never spam. And by “spamming” I do not just mean unwanted emails, but also things like teaching them repetitive ads on Facebook when they’ve already bought you. The idea is to offer only what really interests them and be as unobtrusive as possible.
- Talk about stories. People connect much better with brands when we see them reflected in their stories. For example, you can talk about the origin of your brand, about the life of your employees or about users who have managed to solve their problems thanks to your services.
- Avoid the common topics. If you want to lift passions, you have to surprise and get them to stop and look at you twice, so do not be afraid to risk your proposals and your creativity.
- Keep the mystery. They say that in romantic relationships it is important not to let the mystery run out too soon. Be it true or not, the truth is that it does work in marketing strategies. Do not reveal all the information at once and let the users be interested in discovering you.
- Create shareable content. A good brand lover is the one who shares things about your brand right and left … but for that, you have to give them a good incentive to share through the quality of your content. Do not focus on selling, but on adding value to the community.
3) Pamper your brand lovers
Who has a brand lover, has a treasure. Once you have managed to identify or create these lovers of your brand, you will have to take care of the relationship with them in the long term. Pay attention to these keys.
- Give recognition to your brand lovers. Go directly to the staunchest fans of your brand to let them know you appreciate them. Thank them for speaking well of you and offering them ways to keep in touch. It is also usually a good idea to recognize your role through VIP treatment, for example, creating exclusive promotions for them or notifying them of the news before anyone else.
- Create a line of direct communication with the brand. Fans of a brand want to feel heard, instead of having to relate to it through intermediaries. Therefore, you need to have channels to talk directly with them and show yourself in a transparent and honest way.
- Do not stop exciting them. The key word in generating and building loyalty to your brand lovers is “emotions”. If you want the relationship to stay alive over time, you can not let them get bored at any time. Thus, your fans can become the best stimulus to continue innovating and surpassing yourself.