How many times have you heard “improve your position in the SERPS”? Surely many times if you are interested in SEO positioning. But what is the meaning and origin of it?
Find more about it!
Definition of SERP
SERP stands for Search Engine Results Page. This definition refers to the results that appear on the pages of Google, Bing, Yahoo or Yandex and that tend to show about 10 on average.
In summary, SERPS are all the pages that appear on Google and that are full of different results. This is the expression of “wanting to improve our position in the SERPS“, which would mean wanting to go from a certain page to a higher one in any of the search engines.
Types of SERPS
We have the great division between SEO and SEM staged in organic advertising and paid advertising.
- Organic SERPS: are those results that appear in a free and natural way. Those who are positioned thanks to SEO techniques.
- SERPS of payment: results that appear due to the bids of Adwords and for which there is to pay a determined number. The list of results that appears depends on what is paid, the keyword searched and other factors that fall within the SEM.
Results that appear in the SERPS
Whereas formerly only the classic text results with their title and description appeared, today we can find many other things in the SERPS:
- Video results: since Google bought YouTube, it integrated all the video results into the search engine. Therefore, videos may now appear instead of text results for certain searches that link directly to YouTube.
- Images: a few years ago Google changed the algorithm and started showing images directly at the top of the search. It does not do it for everyone, but in a large majority we can start to see it.
- News: results from different newspapers appear if we search for a keyword that has current news related.
- Maps: local results have a great prominence with Google Places in the SERPS and Google usually shows a map and these results. They usually appear when searches are made with great local prominence, such as “dentist”, “tennis club”, “pub”, etc.
- Products: Google Shopping is another of the Google services aimed at stores. Show different offers and products if the keyword is related to them. For example, if you search for “camera” you will see several results of online stores on the right.
- Google+: even though the author’s content disappeared, if you use Google+ and one of your contacts has a published content that matches the word you are looking for, your result will appear on the first page.
Do not depend only on text links
As you can see, SERPS is much more than text and links. The way to get to a first position can be so varied that you could get to occupy a whole page with a website, a video, an image, a news, a local result and a product on Google Shopping.
If you focus on trying to reach the first position only through the text results, you will be missing a great opportunity to position with any of the other methods.
You have to know how to choose which one is best for you and make the most of it. For example, if you are an online store it may be worth using Google Shopping, while if you are a local business it is more useful if you have correctly registered your business in Google Places than paying for Google Adwords.
The important thing is to know what is your priority, your goal and get appear in the SERPS in the first positions for him. To do this remember that you have to know how to make a correct choice of your keywords, since that is vital to use the system you use.
How are you going to get to the top positions in the SERPS?
Now that you know all the ways to get there, you have to take the step and try all the ones that suit you. And if you try to coordinate several at the same time, better than better, since one of the most appropriate ways to get traffic from a search engine is to monopolize as many results as possible on the first page.