The creation of effective resources in the Universal App Campaigns is probably the factor that determines 60-80% of the success or not of an application campaign.
Unlike other Social Ads networks, in Google Ads UACs the focus is on creatives (text, image and video), not on keywords or user segmentation.
In this article I leave you a series of tips to optimize text, image and video resources that we will use in the Universal App Campaigns and that will help you achieve better results.
Effective text resources
The text resources are the only mandatory part to be able to launch a campaign of Universal App Campaigns, so we must be ordered when it comes to shaping a strategy.
In this case, the example I am going to use is an application of physical exercise at home, with a freemium model. Some tips to optimize text resources in UAC:
Campaigns must be separated by “benefits” or “different uses” of the app:
Text (Campaign 1): “Get a flat abdomen.”
Text (Campaign 2): “Get fit without going to the gym.”
Each line of text has to have a single argument:
Proper text: “Results in 3 weeks.”
Wrong text: “Get a flat stomach and save money.”
Create short and long texts. This will facilitate the automatic combination of copies, helping to achieve more profitable campaigns.
All texts must end with a period (.). This will improve sentence comprehension when the Google algorithm combines the different options.
Do not abuse the exclamation or question marks. If the texts are going to be linked automatically they can make understanding difficult.
Efficient combination: “Your new Free App! Discover HomeGym! “
Effective image resources
The images are not a mandatory resource for Google, but if we do not include them manually, you can create them automatically from the ones we have on the Google Play Store tab.
These are the measures recommended by Google.
In my opinion it is very important to create and optimize the images in the UAC campaigns. Some tips for this are:
- As with the different texts, we have to separate the images by “benefits” or “different uses” offered by the app.
- The use of text embedded in the images is not recommended, but if it is added, it should be as short as possible. In addition, we must ensure that it can be read on all types of devices and screens.
- The same images can be used, but in different sizes. The size of the image determines where it will be used.
- Keep in mind that if there is an image that works very well, Google can automatically trim it to adapt it to other formats.
Effective video resources
Campaigns that include video resources make the difference. Video is the preferred format in recent times and that is why it is key in the creation of application campaigns (probably one of the sectors with the youngest target).
Even if we do not add a video to our campaign, it is possible for Google to create one automatically from the images in our Google Play Store listing. We can see it in this video:
- You must tell a story that does not leave the user in the middle of the video. Those that explain the operation or benefit of the application are interesting
- The first seconds are key to capture the user’s attention, then we will explain one by one and clearly the benefits or uses of the app.
- Use a variety of resources in terms of length and design. This will ensure we use all the advertising platforms. Then we’ll see where it works best.
- Select a thumbnail image that stands out or draws the user’s attention. There are platforms where the video does not play automatically, so it is important to use eye-catching images.
- The “perfect” duration of UAC videos does not exist, it depends on the type of application, market, platform, target, etc. In general, we must create short versions (<30 sec) and medium / long versions (> 30 sec) to know which ones work best and direct the following creatives to what works best for us.
- The orientation of the video is related to the effectiveness of this. Ideally, ensure that most users can see the video in good condition. For this we have 3 options:
If we do not have a large budget to allow us to create and edit a video, we have some cheaper options.
There are applications that record the mobile screen, so we can create a video showing the main Flow of the app. There are also simple tools to edit the video and make it more professional.
The work of the specialist in Mobile Marketing should focus on discovering those combinations of creatives that work well to enhance them.
Ad resources report
The ad resources report is the tool that allows the marketing professional to make decisions that optimize the UAC or Universal App Campaigns.
This report will only be representative when it has a high number of impressions and does not contain the label “Waiting” or “Learning”, which would mean that not enough time has passed to draw conclusions.
It is for this reason that Google recommends giving time to these campaigns despite the fact that the first days do not give good results of CPC, CPL or CPA. In the end it is a “trial-error” that performs the algorithm of Google.
To see the report we have to access the campaign in question and within this go to the option of “ad resources”.
Predefined metrics appear in this report, but can be customized by adding more metrics. The key to the report is segmentation, which allows for greater quality in the conclusions.
Ads are classified based on how many times they are used to show:
- The best
If it appears “low” it does not mean that it is a bad announcement, simply that it is one of the least that is being shown. It is possible that even being “low” works better than others in specific formats.
Do you have any advice?