The technology drives important changes in the tourism sector and puts the focus on promoting a new user experience through services that, until very recently, they did not even imagine. Do you know what smart beaches are and what experiences are being developed? Find out more in this post.
When we talk about the concept of smart beaches we are referring, as everything related to Smart City, to the application of new technologies to improve the user experience, to know their opinion, to encourage their participation and to allow them to enjoy new services and improvements thanks to ICT… Do you know the keys and improvements that Smart City promotes?
When we refer to smart beaches, we are extrapolating all the advantages and possibilities of Smart City to a new environment. As with smart cities, it is not only about incorporating technology, but also about changing the concept (digital transformation) and betting on a global approach.
How do all these concepts and technologies apply to drive smart beaches? Some countries, such as Spain launched their first experience on smart beaches, an initiative that, beyond the application of technology, has much to do with the promotion of a new concept of tourism that comes hand in hand with digital transformation .
In this sense, the smart beaches project is committed to:
- Sensors’ technology (Internet of Things) to transmit and receive useful data both for the management of possible incidents (notices, air quality, sea state …) and for receiving opinions, complaints and queries from users.
- Geolocation services and coordination of the different emergency services, as well as the people and administrations involved in the management of the environment.
- Decisive and unique commitment to mobile technology as a point of connection with the user. In this sense, Wi-Fi zones, recharging points, services and promotions that arrive directly to the user’s smartphone are included …
- Augmented Reality to offer a new experience to the visitor and take another step in the so-called sun and beach tourism which incorporates new cultural options or related to marketing.
- Bluetooth that provide the possibility of virtual assistants, guides in several languages or direct communication with the mobile terminals of the users.
- Systems to favor the accessibility of people with some type of disability or reduced mobility, personalized routes, signage and mobile applications to inform about the available services.
- Constant monitoring and information exchange systems between security managers, as well as for administration (Big Data services).
- Applications and systems to promote participation and collect opinions and suggestions from users and, in this way, solve problems or anticipate new trends and services that can be incorporated into the offer of smart beaches.
- Integration of mobile commerce services, as well as initiatives such as the telematic reservation of services in the vicinity of smart beaches, which has an impact on local economies.
Technology is starting to drive a new tourism model as written before.
How will our life change with the arrival of the Smart City concepts?
The objective is to promote a new model that, supported by ICT, has an impact and improves the quality of life and promotes new opportunities for all citizens.
“The key is to connect the citizen with his city.”
Find more about smart cities in this post and watch the following video which is great!