What is negative SEO? How do we know if they use it against us? How to prevent it? How to solve it?
Negative SEO is an SEO technique within BlackHat SEO that involves applying techniques to penalize a competitor.
Types of SEO attacks Negative
Knowing how Google works makes many people take advantage of this to use the imagination to make Google believe the opposite.
Add thousands of links of low quality websites to a competitor, hack a server to add a malicious code that detects Google, pirated templates in which programmers add links to casino websites, send thousands of visits of poor quality to alter statistics and cause a fall of positions…
There are many types of negative SEO attacks that exist and basically focus on trying to do the opposite of what Google says to apply to competitors.
As is logical, there are sectors such as online jewelers, luxury cars or computers that are more susceptible to receiving this type of attack.
How to prevent SEO attacks Negative
Basically monitoring with different SEO tools and being very attentive with our statistics and objectives in Google Analytics.
And also being as discreet and politically correct as possible. In addition to:
- Reviewing the visits periodically.
- Checking links with SEO Tool.
- Checking that the robots.txt does not change.
- Adding alerts in Google Analytics.
- Monitor server crashes with Uptime Robot for example.
- Using templates and purchased plugins and everything always updated.
- Using a good hosting.
How to detect a negative SEO attack
When you suffer a negative SEO attack you will not find out until suddenly Google penalizes you or you simply start losing visits from Google and you do not know why.
Sometimes you can detect using a SEO tool that thousands of web pages from China, Russia and other countries have added hundreds of junk links, that is, links of very poor quality such as casinos, adult websites, link farms, so you are receiving links that you should not.
It can be detected by checking frequently the links you receive and adding alerts.
This practice that years ago was good in SEO to improve the authority, today is something very negative so Google can get to penalize you automatically or even manually despite not being the one who is getting these links.
It is also recommended to add alerts in Google Analytics when there are abrupt changes in the traffic of a website or any of the objectives changes suddenly.
In summary, we must be aware of:
- Sudden visits fall.
- Increase in low quality links.
- Descriptions without content in Google.
- Difficulty to grow in a competitive sector.
- Very slow web load.
- Fall of positions. Weird stuff in Google results.
- Constant server crashes with DDOS brute force attacks.
- Receive massive spam in comments
How to fix a Negative SEO attack
The best way to defend against an attack of this type is to have a good professional hosting to be protected and to receive good support.
- Low quality links: Send a disavow to Google to tell Google which links do not take into account.
- A change in the robots.txt file: Change passwords and update it.
- Pirate template: Change the template and uninstalling plugins. Installation of zero and import content.
- Traffic attack: Talking with the support team or changing hosting.
It is increasingly difficult to be penalized by a negative SEO attack since Google usually detects this type of practices.
However, we must always be attentive and not think that this will never happen to us.
If you want to create your blog or web, take advantage of these offers now:
Hope this post has been interesting to you and looking forward to your comments and recommendations!
Have you suffered any negative SEO attacks? How did you solve it? Do you know any case?