Strengthening relationships in a work team is a vitally important task that falls on the shoulders of the leader. Being able to unify a group of people towards a common goal will give the exact measure of the capacity and performance to obtain the proposed goals.
However, it is not always easy to create the right environment in a work team, because there are many variables that come into play, such as roles, egos, hierarchies, interests or skills. However, a good leader must be able to respond to all these needs and achieve the maximum of its employees.
Enhance relationships in a work team
Let’s see some interesting actions that will help the leader to strengthen relationships in a work team:
- Goal setting. It is very important that the leader clearly sets the objectives in the short, medium and long term to achieve greater productivity and motivation of the work team.
- Work as a manager. The leader must also act as manager, showing a more human profile, but never forgetting the hierarchy within the work team. With clear relationships, the work environment improves a lot.
- Delegation. A leader must also know how to delegate tasks on the members of his team. The responsibility of each collaborator and the trust will turn him into a motivated employee, who feels accepted and valued in his work environment.
- Mutual respect. For a team to strengthen relations, it is necessary to have mutual respect. Both towards the leader, and between the collaborators, each member must clearly know the role of each one.
Stages in the formation of work teams
For a leader to understand well how relationships are forged and strengthened in work teams, he has to know a series of basic stages:
- Membership. The work team comes into contact in an initial instance and begins to know. It is an opportunity to assess personalities, abilities, affinities, etc. Here you must set the rules that will govern the operation of the group.
- Power. In a second phase, the previously implemented norms begin to take shape in the practical aspect, with more fluid relations under the watchful eye of the leader, which ensures the correct functioning of the mechanisms and actors involved.
- Realization. We reach a third phase in which the work team must give the maximum in the performance of their tasks. Relationships have to be more fluid, with well-defined roles and hierarchies.
- Maturity. In the last phase, the work team must be perfectly interpenetrated, strengthening the strengths, skills and abilities under the leadership of the leader.
Conflicts may arise in any work team, even if a good atmosphere and a high degree of camaraderie have been established. The leader must be attentive to deal with any problem before he becomes entangled and can grow up.
- Clarify interests. In a work team, there are one or several common interests. However, these may come up against the particulars of some member of the group. It is necessary for the leader to always clarify that the common good is the most important.
- Being constructive. A leader should always try to be constructive. It should never fall into excessive prominence or bad management and abnormal flexibility. The important thing is the common good and the achievement of objectives as a team.
- Motivation. A very valid way to avoid conflicts is through the motivation of the team, proposing intermediate goals and recognizing success and effort.
- Create a good climate. As is logical, a good working environment enhances the cohesion of a work team and avoids many conflicts. Encouraging participation, union and group relations is a basic task of every good leader.
These are very important bases to strengthen relationships in a work team. Always remember that union and motivation are two very important elements to exploit the full potential of the group.