Most bloggers have the conception that visibility is achieved by generating the greatest possible volume of content. As if emulating Ford’s production chain, they start to write in a chain to attack the blogosphere with their articles.
But this does not lead anywhere.
Today I want to explain in depth one of the content that should always be within your content strategy if you want to increase your visits: a guest post or guest article.
What is the guest posting and why is it so important?
As I told you before, it’s exactly the same as writing a 2,000 word post every day. And do you know why?
Because in the social networks of your possible readers there are thousands and thousands of content like yours.
You are just one more that is on Twitter or Facebook.
The only thing you do is wear down your keyboard while increasing your frustration.
How to redirect the situation to gain visibility?
Learning to define your strategy and being clear:
Who is your ideal reader?
What the objective of your content strategy?
In this case, your goal is to gain visits, so you have to focus on the contents that are best for that:
- Guest posts.
- SEO Copywriting
- Collaborative articles
The most effective and the one that you should always include in your content strategy is the guest post.
Now I explain the reason.
If I stick to the definition, a guest post is an article that you write on someone else’s blog. But the truth is that it is much more than that. A guest article is the opportunity to attract qualified traffic.
Or, which is the same, visits that can become subscribers.
But the thing does not end here.
The main advantages of making guest posting
In addition to the visits, the guest blogging offers you other benefits:
- Subscribers: qualified traffic is equal to leads. If your guest article has been good, the reader will not hesitate to enter your blog to see what other content you offer. Also, remember that to make your online business economically viable, you only need 1,000 loyal subscribers.
- Links: if you want to climb on Google, you need to be linked. If you want to gain authority in your segment, you need links. If you want traffic from other blogs, you need links. A guest post is a simple way to get a high quality link to your blog.
- Personal brand: the common thing is that you look for blogs that have a bigger audience than yours and, therefore, also an authority. Appearing in those blogs will make the public link you with the blogger’s brand and grant you a credibility.
- Networking: doing guest posting is a way to do networking. You are interacting with other people in your sector to establish a collaboration. Who knows if some other project or even a job arises from here?
Now you may be wondering, and why would a blogger want to let me write on his blog?
Because guest posting is a win-win activity and he also makes a profit.
The owners of blogs that give you the opportunity to write a free content that interests your audience. They save themselves from writing a content (and when you are at a peak of work it is appreciated) and you become visible to your audience.
Where can you find blogs that accept guest posting?
The first thing is to see which blogs accept guest articles to create a list. Then we will analyze each one according to different variables to see which one you are most interested in publishing.
1. Google search
It is the first place where one should search. Start with searches like “blog (your sector)”, “best blogs (your sector)”, “blogs (your sector)”, “bloggers (your sector)” or “guest posts (your sector)”.
2. Visit referring websites in your market
On many pages they accept invited bloggers. You just have to take a look around these sites that are references in your specialty and see who invites you to write.
Be attentive to the menu or some widget of the sidebar that puts something like follows: “write for us”, “upload your article”, “guest author” or any other equivalent. In addition, it is most likely that there you find the rules for the guest author, which will facilitate the work.
This tool is as simple to use as it is to practice. Just select the “Influencers” tab and write down the keyword that corresponds to your sector.
Make a list with 30 blogs that have most caught your attention. The next step will be to filter it to see which are the blogs that interest us the most.
How to select the candidates to make guest posting?
There are several criteria to consider.
- Traffic: you must search for blogs with more traffic than yours. To do so, you can use the free version of Semrush. Another indicator that can give you a reference of your traffic (although in this case we are seeing the authority), are the references that the Moz Bar gives you (a free extension for the browser). If its parameters are high, it indicates that it has a relevance and, therefore, traffic.
- Participation: it is a very important issue, traffic is not everything. Check the volume of comments that are on a regular basis in each post. If the community of that blog is very active, you are guaranteed an extra point. It is also interesting that you take a look at the activity of their social networks. Do not stay alone with your number of followers, but if your publications are shared.
- Type of audience: you have to look for blogs that share an audience similar to yours (this is what will make you have more options to become subscribers).
It is important to take time to analyze this data calmly because writing an article will cost you a few hours of work. More than ever, it does not matter the quantity, but the quality.
What is the court strategy or how to choose the best blog to write a guest post
In the Middle Ages, kings were almost inaccessible. They had emissaries waiting months or even years before giving them an audience. Sometimes for lack of time, sometimes for simple “appearance”.
If you wanted to talk to the king, the best thing you could do was not to knock directly on his door. Neither they were the ones who managed their appointments.
How could you then get the king to listen to you?
Cameling his entourage.
If you made yourself visible among them, you generated friendships and you got them to have you as a person of high esteem, that could save you the “no” from the king or even months of waiting.
Well, in the world of blogging the strategy is the same: to get to the influencer, first you have to beat your team.
1. Why is not it a good idea to start with the king of your niche?
Surely in your niche there are one or several stars or recognized experts that stand out above the others. Visible figures that attract all the attention of your sector. Publish in your blog would be a bombshell for you, but the reality is that now you are a true unknown in your sector.
The reality is that if you approach that “king” now, it is likely that they will reject you.
Do not be discouraged. Think that these people will receive dozens of proposals from guest posts and bloggers with more experience than you. It is logical that in the comparison you leave losing.
2. How to climb the court to get closer to the king
I have already commented on the blog many times, as you grow a bit with your online business (much earlier than you think), the amount of work accumulated will devour you. The list of tasks is endless, you do not get to half the things and burnout makes you be desperate and stressed.
I told you before, you have to make yourself visible in the court. You have to start making your name heard and earn merit so that you are taken into account. You have to become the fashionable person of the moment.
And to be, you just have to follow these 10 steps.
1. Study the blogger
Examine in depth the blog in which we want to participate. You have to look at the following points:
- Editorial line: thoroughly reviews all the posts that have been published on your blog. Although I have been writing for a long time, I am sure there is a topic that has not been touched or a new point of view for an article. If you think you can come and say, “I want to make a guest post on your blog about anything!”, You’re on the wrong track.
- Comments: the important thing about a blog is its audience, not the blogger. That’s why this point is very important. Review the comments of the posts looking for interesting questions or comments about which you can make a proposal.
- About me: check this section of your blog to see their tastes and their own history. If you have something in common it will be useful to look for a connection point.
- Newsletter: be attentive to their latest news. Your promotions, your products, the events you will attend … all this information can be useful at any given time.
2. Discuss your articles
It is not about writing a post in the comment, but that you complement what is told in the article. Think of tools, resources, other strategies or even other posts that serve to complement. Beware of this, if it is the 1st time you comment on your blog it is better to ask permission before putting the link.
If you get confused with a spammer you are lost.
Just by sharing your experience with other readers, you will already be contributing a lot to the conversation within your community. And that is something that the blogger will value because it will also be in his own benefit.
3. Connect through Twitter
The third step would be to connect with that person on Twitter. A good strategy is to add it to a private list with the people you are interested in. So you can check everything you have commented even if you have not been connected and not miss anything.
Make retweets and also add a post as a favorite. It’s a very simple and quick way to get someone’s attention. But when you make a retweet, write a comment.
If it is an important blogger, the common thing is that its contents are widely shared. With a normal retuit it will not be fixed in your name, you have to write something that makes you notice yourself.
It is also a good idea to take advantage of conversations. Many bloggers send messages with others in relation to a hashtag, so the conversation is open to you can participate. Send a tweet by asking a question or commenting on something you said.
The more you interact the more you will notice.
4. Pay attention to the details
As in a relationship, you have to be attentive to any detail.
When you learn something, for example, the launch of an ebook, very positive monthly reports or an appearance in an important magazine, do not forget to congratulate him.
You can also take advantage of who is going to give a presentation at an event. You can say, “The day” x “will be in the (event name) to hear your presentation. I hope we have the chance to meet and I can say hello. “
These may be the magic words that open the door of an influencer.
Another way to take action can be an interview on your blog, but beware that this requires that the interview is attractive.
- Do not ask for too much time: neither for the length of the interview nor because you have not organized everything well. There can always be an unexpected, but try to have everything tied.
- Take good care of the questions: that are not the usual ones. They will not generate any interest and will make you feel like you only do the interview for doing it. And that without counting that for your readers it will also be a bore.
- Analyze the interviewee: before I told you about the importance of soaking in your blog. If you’ve done it right, I’m sure you have a lot of information that you can use to ask interesting questions. Analyze your tastes or the topics with which you feel comfortable. An “easy” question may be good to start or to relax if you are very nervous.
- Be positive: the normal thing is that they do not refuse to appear in an interview because that contributes to their brand. But if you do not meet the 3 points above, the image you give will be terrible and they will not listen to you. Once it is published, send a small follow-up email with the link and inform it of the impact it had.
If you have not had many visits, you can comment with him on any message left by a reader or emphasize how interesting you thought that he explained at a given time.
You’re just showing that the interview is not a “catwalk” and that it’s something that matters to you.
If you find the world of interviews interesting, here is a guide on how to raise and prepare them.
Interviewing an influencer is a great way to prepare the ground and then ask a guest post Click to tweet
6. The time of the proposal: how to establish the first contact?
Before making a proposal to any blogger, especially when you talk to the most popular, you have to do a field work. If you achieve your goal, it is most likely that you will reopen the doors to write as a guest author in any other blog.
Getting that first guest post is the most difficult, so you have to make a proposal that can not refuse. Follow the next steps:
- Study the popular contents of your market: there is always one topic more popular than another. You must know them well to know what readers are looking for at that moment. Although also be careful, if you choose a subject that you do not master, at the time of writing the post you are going to sweat ink so that something decent comes out. Do not get too involved.
- Put yourself in the ‘shoes’ of the ideal reader of your objective blog: study what their needs are and the problems that prevent them from sleeping every night. In the same way you write for THAT person in your blog, the same thing you will have to do in the others.
- Find the “gaps” on the most popular themes: that’s what I was referring to before you analyzed your editorial line. Is there a topic that lacks something in particular? Is there a reader who is interested in something that has not yet been addressed?
- Check the most popular posts of that blog and analyze why they succeed: a post can succeed for different reasons. Perhaps it is an article that addresses a topic with greater depth than others. It can also be that it has videos and that influences that it is better understood. The motivating stories in which the blogger tells a more personal topic work very well too. The idea is to analyze what has been most successful so you can replicate that strategy with your guest article.
At this point you have already done an analysis of the sector and the blog to understand the tastes of readers.
Now that you have all the information, you are in a position to choose the ideal topic.
Think that you have to comply with mandatory 3 points:
- Buyer person: you have to talk about something that helps the blogger community.
- You bring value: you must be able to offer valuable information that is not the same as it is told everywhere.
- Hook: in that it is a topic that is normally discussed in your sector, always look for a different approach and that draws attention. Take advantage of something that has happened, a tool, a new strategy or even a point of view.
Well, you already have the chosen theme, now it’s time to write to the influencer to tell him that you are interested in writing on his blog. I suggest 2 things when it comes to posing: be nice and go to the point without giving many laps.
Bloggers do not have time and they do have thousands of things to read.
It’s about thinking about a topic that has a lot of pull and writing it in advance. So, when you make the proposal you only have to say: “if you like it, publish it”. It usually works, even with many of those who would otherwise have had you spinning around. This way you do not waste time to other bloggers and give them the solution already done.
Of course, if they have a rules page for guest authors, adapt the content to those rules. If for whatever it is, it does not accept it, it will touch you to touch it; but it does not have to take you long either.
How to write a guest post to captivate your audience and get them to become your most loyal followers
All the recommendations you have read about writing a good post, is not only that you have to apply when you do guest posting, but you have to go further. Guest articles are your key to get visits and subscribers, but to achieve this you will have to surprise them.
Prepare to write something really good.
Here I leave you a fast track of what you have to take into account at the time of writing.
- Original: I hope this does not need to be said, but just in case I mention it. All content must be unique and original. You must never have used it before. Do not ever copy anything you see on the Internet. First of all because it is wrong and you would be stealing the work of others. Second, what do you want to do guest posting for if you are not able to write content? And third, because Google would detect that the content is duplicated and penalize the blogger.
- Extension: I insist, a guest post is not a normal content, you have to offer the best of you. In many cases, the blogger will require a minimum extension (about 2,000 words), but the important thing is that you approach the subject well and explain everything necessary for the reader to be happy.
- Internal links: link in your post to all the contents of the blog that you can. This will improve your SEO On Page and you will give a good image as you will show that you know the editorial line of the blog.
- Comments: oyou have to be attentive to all the comments that arrive at the post and answer them as soon as possible. This is an important point because you are going to relate to the blogger’s audience. You will talk to your community (the one you want to attract to your blog), bring all the value you can in the comments to make a good image.
When you appear on several blogs, a called effect will be generated that will make you invite from others. Do not doubt that very quickly you will reap all the benefits of guest posting. If, on the other hand, your content is medium-haired, the only thing you have achieved is to waste your time.
Maybe they’ll publish it to you, if you’re lucky, but you will not gain traffic or subscribers, just a lost link out there and lifeless. Of course, a lot of work for little result.
Create a balanced calendar
In the face of your guest blogging plan you should be moderately realistic and smart about dates. It is important that you keep this in mind.
It is better to publish in 10 blogs than to publish 10 times in the same blog.
Do not propose to do 7 posts a week because you will get burned.
Space the publication of the articles in time, it is not convenient for you to publish them all in the same week.
It’s about going little by little, but without stopping. It is more worth it that you spend more time in publishing in another blog that you lower the quality of what you offer.
Think that they have a reference of your previous articles, if they see that what you do now is worse, they will feel cheated.
How to optimize admissions in a guest post
You have to offer the highest quality with each post you write, but you also have to get the most out of each article. And you’re going to do it in 2 ways.
1. An author’s box with a call to action
In your author’s box your photo will appear along with a bio or presentation explaining to people who you are and what you do. But not only serves to introduce you, but also to encourage them to subscribe:
Put a link to your Squeeze Page.
Indicate the main benefit in the link to encourage them to click (“Download this free guide to triple your sales”).
2. A well designed Squeeze Page
You already know that the Squeeze Page is the landing page that you have optimized to improve your conversion in order to gain subscribers. In this post I explain in depth how to raise it, but I will give you here the main key.
To achieve a conversion rate of between 30% and 40%, you need a hyper-practical lead magnet, which reflects the benefit of what the user will get if they download it.
Whenever you make a guest post you must link in your author box to your Squeeze Page. In some cases, some bloggers will let you offer your lead magnet at the close of the guest post. If so, great, more options to get subscribers.
In addition, there are now tools such as Lead Pages or Thrive Content Builder with which you can create different variations of your Squeeze Page to make it even more personalized and improve the conversion.
Is your work already finished after publishing?
Of course not. You still have left, see what the performance of the post has been and “close” your relationship with the blogger. It is a contact that you already have, you have to finish the job leaving the door open if you are interested in the future to establish another collaboration with him.
1. Monitoring of results
Now you have to track the impact that the guest post brings. For that you only need Google Analytics, with it you can see which are the blogs that direct you the most traffic.
Go to Google Analytics and in the tab that says ‘Acquisition’ choose ‘All traffic’ and then ‘References’.
This is where you can find the websites that send you the most traffic
Now that you have the data:
Analyze which are the links that are bringing you the most subscribers and their conversion rates.
Look at the average time they spend on your blog and the number of page views.
If you see that there is a blog that is sending you many high quality ones, what do you have to do? Do not hesitate for a second: write an email to that blogger to maintain a good relationship with him.
In the future you will be interested in repeating with another guest post.
2. Thank you email
When a few days have passed, send an email of thanks to the blogger telling him that you enjoyed collaborating with him and thanking him for his effort.
It is also good that the blogger feels good for having let you write on his blog. Not only does he say “I have managed to create good content for my audience”, but also think that he has done something very good for you.
If there has been a good feeling, take advantage of this email to propose a future collaboration (perhaps to become your affiliate) or to close another guest article within a year. The important thing is that there is a link with this person and keep it in time.
Ready to start with your guest posting strategy?
Then, show me and set yourself a goal.
Before a month you must have managed to publish a guest post on an important blog within your sector.
In this article you have everything you need to find the best blogs, know which ones to choose and how to propose an irresistible proposal. Lock yourself 2 hours, rethink your editorial calendar and enter the guest articles within your recruitment strategy.
Do you want to continue writing without obtaining results or tripling your traffic and your subscribers?
You already know the answer.