“And one has to understand that braveness is not the absence of fear but rather the strength to keep on going forward despite the fear.”
By Paulo Coelho.
The job interview is a moment of stress for the candidate, We must not forget that the main objective of the Curriculum Vitae is to obtain a job interview, as well as the interview is to convince that we are the right person to occupy that position.
Therefore, we must not only send a curriculum measured and studied, but we must also prepare ourselves conscientiously for the possible meeting with the persons in charge of interviewing the candidates.
Master the nonverbal communication
Everything we do and say from the moment we walk in the door to report our arrival, transmit information.
At this point, remembering and, above all, being aware that non-verbal information accounts for 70% of the total information we send can make the difference between us and the rest of the competitors for the position we wish to achieve.
To prevent what we do not say from playing against us, it is important to know what should never be done in a job interview:
- Show concern. It is important not to move too much in the chair, to tap with the pen or, especially in the case of women, to touch their hair a lot. At this point experts recommend going to these types of appointments with the most collected hair possible. Any sample of concern will be translated by the interviewer as a sign of weakness and even insecurity.
- Adopt a bad posture. It is necessary to rehearse “formal” postures at home that make us seem more serious than we normally are. To sit excessively reclined, to stretch the legs or the arms, to place the hands in the nape will give bad image.
- Be elusive. Be prepared and clear the answers in fundamental. Although we do not answer the truth 100%, it is very important to know our position in different aspects, since they can ask us the same in different ways and we can fall into contradictions or errors of approach.
- Respect turns to speak. Interrupt the speaker is a sign of not knowing how to listen, which will be considered by him as a great lack of professionalism. It is necessary to wait until the interviewer finishes raising the question or his arguments.
Pay attention to your footprint
More and more companies will control your footprint on the internet. Every time we use the internet, what we do is registered. Knowing how to manage or at least knowing what we have put in is important when answering certain questions during the interview.
Keys to preparation: 80% success
Although it may sound obvious, not always that we face an interview we prepare it thoroughly. When a job offer is too favorable for us, we can become too confident.
A correct preparation can reach up to 80% of the success of a good interview: in no case should a question surprise you, you should have all the answers and comments that you have elaborated and learned, so that they come out in a natural way.
That which costs you the most or which you find difficult to explain is the first thing you have to prepare and train. There is nothing wrong with what you have done, if you did not succeed, it helped you to learn. Remember that we are not perfect, but human and we have the right to make mistakes, but not to take advantage of it.
There are some questions that are often repeated in meetings with recruiters, no matter the sector in question. These are some of them:
- What can you tell me about yourself? Limiting the response to your professional qualities and successes is the key to success. It is also important to be brief and concise and, if possible, include experiences related to the requirements of the position.
- How do you act when there is a confrontation at work or disagreements with your boss? With this question, the degree of conflict is analyzed. It is important to be able to show that you are able to stay calm and accept different opinions.
- Do you have any question? The answer is yes”. Shows interest in the position and the company. Never ask about salary.
The importance of knowledge in action
The last important point is to know how to show your skills, what experts call knowledge in action.
Especially, those that are essential for the position you choose. Show yourself confident and natural, respond in a simple way to the questions, or cut with monosyllables, or explaining excessively. Speak only when they ask you and let you see that you are the person they were looking for.