Any workshop meeting is located within the manufacturing plant and its objective is to follow-up operational indicators, create a motivational atmosphere for the whole team (middle management, team leaders), create short term corrective and preventive actions and communicate mid and long-term projects. This daily meeting should not last more than 10 minutes, it has to be brief, with concrete information and involving all the team members, otherwise they could loose attention.
In order to gain the implication of all the team members, create motivation and pro-activity, the following clues are recommended:
- Start the meeting on-time.
- Explain the objective of the meeting and establish a timetable which has to be followed every time.
- More than one person has to speak in the meeting.
- Questions may be asked to the team members in terms of deadlines, KPIs or other practical data.
- A safety tip must be said first of all.
- A board has to be used in which data is written at the same time it is analyzed.
- Red color for negative deviations and green color for positive or null deviations.
- A3 sheets (problem solving activities have to be filled in by operational profiles who are involved within the solution.
- In order to create a nice atmosphere small jokes will help.
- Short-term to do’s have to be discussed within this meeting. Furthermore, the meeting leader could ask to finish corrective or preventive actions and spoke about it the next day.
- Do not miss a meeting. In case the leader is not attending, someone should take over his place temporarily.
- Support departments may be present when information regarding their responsibilities is displayed (quality, logistics, etc.)
This internal and simple communication method is key to success and to build a continuous improvement wheel within any organization or department. Creating the inertia of speaking about operational problems, following up the KPIs or mid/long-term projects will ease and give more flexibility to develop and implement added value activities.